Hi,

I've been reading up on Docker and trying to understand what all the fuss
is about  (I'm still not sure for several reasons, but I digress).  I was
wondering how Docker might influence Karaf in the future as well as how
Docker fits in with OSGi and Karaf in general.

Specifically my questions are:

1.  It seems like the hype of Docker is causing people to shy away from the
dynamic nature of OSGi, such as being able to update bundles in a running
Karaf container.  Is the use of Docker and Karaf boiling down to creating a
static Karaf image and anytime you want to upgrade anything, you throw away
the instance and replace it with a newly built instance?  It feels
inefficient.  It also feels like it really complicates everything.  Unless
you are developing on Linux, development using Docker containers is really
slow.  Dealing with setting up docker containers to test things out locally
also seems like a lot of overhead.  If you don't test locally with Docker,
then can you be sure that deploying in a Docker container will work
properly?

2.  In regards to the first question, and the fact that people indicate
they think Docker will become the standard, will Karaf be dumbed down in
the future due to the static nature of Docker?  Meaning, if Docker *does*
becomes the de factor standard for deploying everything, it feels like
developers would be discouraged from using a lot of the run-time benefits
OSGi offers.

I kind of feel like the big push of Docker in the development community in
general (as a whole, not talking about the Karaf developer community), will
potentially cause a lack of innovation and improvements in the deploying of
applications.  Docker could become a crutch.  If an application is slowly
leaking memory over a 24 hour period, why fix it?  When it crashes, just
replace it with a new instance.

Am I wrong?  This is just my initial thoughts and questions.  I wanted to
see what other people thought and how other people view Docker and Karaf
being used or how it is being used.

Ryan