Hi JP,

1/ KARAF_DATA has to be "writable"
2/ etc/system.properties has to be "writable" as it's where the shutdown command is added at first startup (it's not fixed in the meaning that it doesn't prevent the bootstrap) 3/ if you want to support update of config file (when using ConfigMBean or config:* commands), KARAF_ETC has to be writable

So, just provide KARAF_DATA variable in bin/karaf to a directory where you can write and it will work (eventually KARAF_ETC too).