Hi Jean-Baptiste!

We actively use GELF for streaming logs from Karaf based platforms for years.
But we stop building custom distributions at beginning of adoption because of
we use use different distrs from different vendors (FuseSource, Talend, stock
Servicemix, plain Karaf etc). Not all distrs can be modified. It all needs to
be upgradable.
Custom distribution is not practical way for us. Now we install appender at
deployment time by help of deployment automation tools like Ansible, Puppet.

Current appender we use is GELFJ. Not so robust as I want but with some
infrastructure support it works:

https://github.com/t0xa/gelfj <https://github.com/t0xa/gelfj>

It is already has OSGI headers to be fragment bundle for Pax-Logging.

For log4j2 I currently testing this 2 implementations:

1. https://github.com/Graylog2/log4j2-gelf

2. https://github.com/mp911de/logstash-gelf
<https://github.com/mp911de/logstash-gelf>

For fist I’ve made couple of changes + OSGI headers for both. If someone is
interested in I can share results after decision to be made with small
configuration example. As before, we not plan build custom distrs.

I think Karaf feature is not to be needed because there is only one proper way
to package appender - one superbundle, fragment for Pax-Logging without any
exports and imports. Because of that - installation of appender it is simple
bundle installation and Karaf restart. Or startup.properties modification, etc…

Regards,
Vladimir Konkov
CIT Consulting LLC