On 3/23/2016 12:13 PM, Nick Baker wrote:
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the update. We're actually looking to deploy Remote Services in our next release. Can you speak to the relative merits of ECF vs the Apache CXF Distributed OSGi subproject?

I don't want to explicitly or implicitly criticize CXF, so I'll just list some of the things that I think ECF has that are advantages. Some of these may be shared with CXF...I don't know enough about CXF to say which. Also I should say that I've been working with Christian and others to create a general distribution provider API for Aries that will work with OSGi RSA.

1) We implement the latest OSGi R6 specs...both Remote Service (chap 100 in enterprise spec) and Remote Service Admin (chap 122 in enterprise spec) 2) We test our implementation against the OSGi compatibility test suite as part of our continuous integration 3) ECF has an open modular architecture, which allows new distribution (and discovery) providers to be easily used (see [2] and [3] below)
4) ECF's RS/RSA implementation is small/lightweight
5) We've recently created and documented a number of new distribution providers...see [3] 6) One of these providers uses CXF (Jax-RS), allowing backward compatibility with CXF-based remote services 7) We are also gradually introducing tooling for developing, debugging, deploying RS/RSA apps [2]. This will continue. 8) We have few dependencies (4), and so we run on any OSGi R5+ compatible framework 9) We have started building remote services for monitoring/management of remote (and/or local) frameworks [5]

Scott

[5] https://github.com/ECF/OSGIRemoteManagement

Thanks,
Nick Baker

From: Scott Lewis <sle...@composent.com <mailto:sle...@composent.com>>
Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM
To: "user@karaf.apache.org <mailto:user@karaf.apache.org>" <user@karaf.apache.org <mailto:user@karaf.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: ECF 3.13 released

    iv)  ECF 3.13 also supports using maven to install Karaf features [4].

    On 3/17/2016 9:37 AM, Scott Lewis wrote:
    ECF 3.13 has just been released [1].

    ECF provides a modular and CT-tested implementation of OSGi R6
    Remote Services and Remote Service Admin (1.1) specifications.

    The important additions in 3.13 [2]

    i) New API (and tutorial) to simplify the creation of custom
    remote services distribution providers.   The distribution
    provider API makes it easy to introduce alternative/new/private
    protocols, serialization formats, or communication patterns (e.g.
    client/server or pub-sub groups) *without* modifying the service
    API or implementation
    ii) Distribution provider implementations based upon MQTT, CXF,
    Jersey, Hazelcast and associated technical documentation [3]
    iii) Eclipse tooling to aid in the development, debugging,
    testing, and deployment of remote services [2]

    Scott

    [1] https://www.eclipse.org/ecf/downloads.php
    [2] https://www.eclipse.org/ecf/NewAndNoteworthy.html
[3] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Distribution_Providers