I can’t guess anything about which extenders you might be using, but….
compliant consumers of config admin Configurations only look at configurations
whose bundle location is compatible with the bundle being configured.  It’s
recommended that configuration management agents (such as IIUC felix
fileinstall working on configurations) install an explicit bundle location.  If
a Configuration is possibly intended for use by several bundles using a
compatible multi-location is appropriate.  If you don’t care which bundles can
see the configuration, using “?” as the location matches all bundles.

Felix DS has recently been updated to not set the bundle location on
configurations itself, however it’s possible that other extenders such as
blueprint might set the location, making the configuration unavailable to the
second bundle.

In other words, possibly this is an effect of the config admin spec on
configurations without an explicit bundle location.  I don’t know if anything
in karaf lets you set a bundle location explicitly.

david jencks