Hi,

Our application (Cytoscape) uses Karaf as its OSGi container/shell - Karaf
3.0.3, to be specific. With our application, external developers can provide
their own bundles ("apps") for use with the Cytoscape core framework.
Lately, many of our app developers have run into problems relating to
packages/bundles that are included in the JVM or with Karaf/Felix, but are
not exported by the default configuration.

One example of this is that some wanted to use JavaFX web functionality that
required the netscape.javascript package, which is included in Java but not
exported by the default Karaf configuration. Another example involves Xerces
- some external app developers have tried to use Jena (which uses Xerces)
but have had problems because Karaf includes some but not all Xerces
packages in the bootdelegation (it seems KARAF-3596 references this issue,
but has yet to be addressed in Karaf 3.x).

Currently, what we have been doing is modifying the Karaf configuration to
add missing packages to packages.extra or bootdelegation. While this
resolves the problem, it doesn't help until we can cut a new release of
Cytoscape, and it doesn't help those still on old Cytoscape versions unless
they manually update their Karaf configuration files.

Is there anything that can be done at the bundle level to work around this
(i.e. to import classes included in Java or the Karaf framework but not
exported by default, or to use one's own version of these classes instead of
the not-exported version included with Karaf)? If not, would moving to Karaf
4 help in this regard, or is there a configuration change that would resolve
all these cases?

Tim Hull