Not specifically a Karaf question but I'll start here.

If I would like to be able to modify the component instance configurations
(created from a factory) programmatically, but from the CA api, it's unclear to
me how I associate a configuration record to its corresponding instance?

As an example, if I have multiple configurations of
org.apache.felix.fileinstall and I want to modify a specific configuration
programitically, how do I associate the configuration record with the proper
configuration (.cfg file)?  This isn't my actual use case but for explanatory
purposes it works.

Scott