Basically, a profile is a list of files.  Files with a cfg extension are
handled in a specific way.  They are overlayed, as profiles can have a list
of parents to inherit from.  The profile.cfg is special and contains some
profile attributes, such as the list of parents and a list of features or
bundles that need to be resolved.

Profiles are actually used by the karaf 4 maven plugin when generating
assemblies, so that when you specify a feature or bundle for a given stage,
the plugin will actually generate a profile for each stage.  So for each
stage, you can specify profiles in addition, or instead of features and
bundles.

Maybe look at the profiles demo : it uses a static registry, but you could
point to something else than an artifact.
  https://github.com/apache/karaf/tree/master/demos/profiles

I wanted to point you to profiles because it's supposed to solve use cases
similar to yours, by defining some kind of "building blocks" such as a JMS
broker, client, or whatever, and merging them together. You can only change
a few properties at the end when actually building the distribution without
having to copy/paste the whole set of configuration files.

Let me know if you have any problem if you investigate this.

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Nodet