That’s exactly what I did. The listener is not called at all. Looking at
bundles, some are Active, some Resolved, one Installed (OSGi System Bundle
3.10.2.v20150203-1939) and one Waiting (one of mine).

public final class KarafStopper {
    private static final Logger LOG     =
LogManager.getLogger(KarafStopper.class);
    private static final long   TIMEOUT = 3 * 1000;
  // in milliseconds

    private final Bundle        karaf;

    public KarafStopper(final BundleContext context) {
        System.out.println("=> blabla");
        karaf = context.getBundle(0);
        karaf.getBundleContext().addBundleListener(new
SynchronousBundleListener() {
            @Override
            public void bundleChanged(final BundleEvent event) {
                System.out.println("Karaf: " + event.getType());
            }
        });
    }

    public void shutdown() {
        try {
            final Thread watchdog = new Thread(() -> {
                try {
                    Thread.sleep(TIMEOUT);
                    // Karaf refuses to stop
                    LOG.error(() -> "Karaf did not stop gracefully");
                    System.exit(-1);
                } catch (final InterruptedException e) {
                    // Karaf stopped normally
                }
            });

            watchdog.setDaemon(true);
            watchdog.start();
            System.out.println("Bye bye");
            karaf.stop(Bundle.STOP_TRANSIENT);
            System.out.println("So long!");
        } catch (final BundleException e) {
            System.out.println("Oooooooooooops: " + e);
            LOG.error(() -> "Issue while stopping karaf", e);
        }
    }
}

Regards,