> I did not understand your comment on "Declarative Services with a static
> policy". I'm ignorant of this concept. Is there some documentation I can
> look at to better understand what that means?

The JavaDoc is actually pretty good!
https://osgi.org/javadoc/r6/cmpn/org/osgi/service/component/annotations/ReferencePolicy.html#STATIC

<https://osgi.org/javadoc/r6/cmpn/org/osgi/service/component/annotations/ReferencePolicy.html#STATIC>

> Finally, I am using the maven-bundle-plugin with the "_dsannotations"
> tag to process the declarative services annotations. Is there a better way?

There are different ways, but not necessarily better. The bnd-maven-plugin is
another choice for generating your OSGi metadata, and it automatically picks up
the annotations. It’s doing the same thing under the covers (even using the
same library), just with some slightly better default configuration and tooling
support. I must admit to being biased though, as I actually write some of the
plugins in that project.

Regards,

Tim