In OSGi dependencies are resolved in the resolve state of a bundle. So this
resolution is completely independtent of eventual start levels.
When a bundle is started then the only thing happening is that the
activator is executed or in case of spring dm or blueprint the context is
started.

Equinox as well as felix allow to set start levels for bundles so there
shoud be no difference in that regard.
The problem with spring is that it was never designed for OSGi and spring
dm is a quite buggy way to bridge spring to OSGi. So it might be a good
idea to try if switching to blueprint solves the issue. If you look into
blueprint then you should also take a look at the blueprint-maven-plugin.
It allows to use  a lot of the spring and JEE annotations to do the wiring
and creates a blueprint xml at build time.

Christian