You can use a properties file.  Afaik, there's no problem with them and
they are fully supported.
Config files with typed properties will be supported through KARAF-5074
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5074> which is a new feature.

For the location attribute, a new JIRA would be required.  But if you're
planning to use typed config files and use that attribute as a work around,
that's a bad idea, as other parts of Karaf will not support it.

Btw, if you want to speed up things a bit, as you seem quite vocal, one way
would be to provide some patches.

--
Guillaume Nodet