Hi Stephen,

the <startupFeatures> are actually meta-features: the bundles in such features are added to etc/startup.properties. It's the "lowest" part of Karaf.

the <bootFeatures> are concrete features, added at startup of the features service (in etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg). This is the recommended approach for your features.

The framework is managed differently as it provides more than just the bundles in startup.properties: it also brings the resources (etc files, bin files).

By the way, I'm preparing my talk for ApacheCon where I show how to create a custom distribution and a corresponding docker image used by Mesos to populate the Cellar cluster.

I will share my code soon.