Thanks pkmcculloch,

this solution seems to work much better for me and the installer has
everything it needs.

The only problem I have now is getting karaf to pick up the local repo.

I've tried two strategies, the first was to copy everything in the local
repo and put it into the system folder. The second was to use
feature:repo-add, it is unable to resolve the feature.xml file. The feature
file is definitely present in the local repo.

Is there a proper way to reference this folder (using the file protocol) or
is copying it into system the recommended way? The folder in question sits
outside the karaf install folder.

Stephen