I didn't mean ManagedService using DS, I meant using DS configuration (which is basically a managed service.

When using @Component, we implicitly have a configuration link to the component injected via activate and the ComponentContext (getProperties).

I disagree about @Referece to ConfigurationAdmin: in some use cases, it makes sense. Look in Karaf Cellar for instance.

On 12/03/2017 01:10 PM, Timothy Ward wrote:
I would more recommend a ManagedService or inject the ConfigAdmin service.

This is really bad advice, and Steinar should definitely not do either of these things (nor should other readers of this mail chain).

  * Steinar has already indicated that he wants to use Declarative Services, so
    implementing ManagedService is both unnecessary and ties him to an API that
    he has no need to implement. It also prevents him from using Component
    Property Types, defaults, annotations, and forces him to use Dictionary for
    his configuration. Finally, it also makes his component’s lifecycle
    management harder, as he would have to manage all the reconfiguration
    dynamics himself.
  * Injecting the Config Admin service is inevitably the wrong way for any user
    to read configuration in OSGi. The only people who should ever access the
    ConfigurationAdmin service directly are management agents like Felix File
    Install and Felix Web Console (and whatever component in Karaf does the same
    job).

The correct way to consume configuration in DS is to receive it via your activate method - if you think that you need to do something else then you have most likely got the wrong design.

If you’re not using DS then most component frameworks still provide you with configuration in a similar way (injection of a map). If you’re determined to do things the hard way (without a framework) then, and only then, should you implement ManagedService or ManagedServiceFactory, and you should absolutely never try to consume your configuration directly from the Configuration Admin service (it’s simply not designed to be used this way).

Regards,

Tim