Hi Ryan,

To copy a feature (and contents) in the system folder, it has to be an installed
feature.

That's the expected behavior as by default, Karaf first checks in the "Karaf
user" .m2/repository,  then it goes in system repo and finally in any repo
defined in etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg.

It's well explained (IMHO) in the user guide and dev guide (custom disto).