The new maven build in bndtools is now a plain maven build.
Of course the bndtools examples favour the bnd-maven-plugin instead of the
maven-bundle-plugin but that is more like left and right twix :-)

The only real difference is how the bundles are then assembled into a
runable application.

There bndtools uses a bndrun file which points to a repository (based on
maven now) and requirements. The output is a runnable jar.

For karaf you create a feature with your bundles and dependencies typically
as feature dependencies. Then in a second step you can also have a karaf
custom distro to create a complete server (application).

So it is now perfectly possible to produce a bndtools based assembly and a
karaf feature and optionally a custom distro in the same build.

The only sad thing is that the deployment descriptions are not yet
compatible. As both karaf and bndtools use a bundle repository under the
hood I think this can be improved.

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de