To give more context: In my Karaf I have potentially very long running "background
jobs".
I want to avoid that the user (which is a developer) terminates a foreground
Karaf and indirectly aborts these jobs by accident.
If I had the option of programmatically intercepting ctrl-d, I could ask the user
"are you sure to exit?"

A 2nd best solution for me would be to disable ctrl-d completely.
I already implemented my own "q(uit)" Karaf command, so my command can
safeguard the termination.

But then I would like to disable also the regular shell:logout command.
To be back at my original question :-)

Regards,
-Max

You want to fully disable CTRL-D ? (and force "logout" usage instead)

I can add an option to ssh for that.