I am not getting it. What I think should happen is that any feature that my
feature depends on should be included in the resulting kar file (bundles and
all). That would allow me to drop my kar into a karaf deploy directory on an
offline machine and have my feature, and all its dependencies, installed
automatically.

I tried to reproduce the success Davi had, but my kar is not including other
features. Here is exactly what I did.

1. git clone http://github.com/apache/karaf.git
2. cd karaf/examples/karaf-maven-example/karaf-maven-example-kar
3. mv src/main/feature/feature/features-repo.xml
src/main/feature/feature.xml (now file in default location so maven picks it
up)
4. Modify feature.xml to reference a bunch of other features as shown below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<features name="examples"
xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.4.0";>
    <feature name="kar-example" version="1.0-SNAPSHOT">
        <feature>scr</feature>
        <feature>cxf-jaxrs</feature>
        <feature>cxf-http-jetty</feature>
        <feature>spring-aspects</feature>
        <bundle>mvn:commons-lang/commons-lang/2.6</bundle>
    </feature>
</features>

5. mvn clean install compile karaf:kar
6. Kar file produced and found in
target/karaf-maven-example-kar-4.3.0-SNAPSHOT.kar

So I modified the example project and added a bunch of features as
dependencies. The resulting kar correctly contains the commons-lang bundle
(/repository/commons-lang/*) but none of the bundles for the 4 features I
added.

Dropping this kar into Karaf on a disconnected machine would fail to
install. What am I missing?