Hi Maurice,

On 5/6/2020 10:10 AM, Maurice Betzel wrote:
Rephrasing the question, does this bring extended functionality to other
protobuf supported languages as well?

Short answer:  yes...because grpc supports other languages.

Longer answer:   Because ECF is an impl of OSGi RS/RSA spec the work I've done on this new distribution provider is first focused on Java/OSGi (e.g. adding a protobuf plugin that generates a Java service interface class from proto file service spec).

However, since we are talking about inter-process, and grpc can create servers or clients in other languages, and because all communication is based on same (gprotouf+grpc) wire protocol and serialization, then it is possible to have either

Java/OSGi Remote Services consumer/client ->  Other lang server

or

Other lang consumer/client -> Java/OSGi Remote Services server

If there is interest in this I (or others) could produce an example, but since I've just finished the first cut of this distribution provider (for Java/OSGi on both ends) I have not yet had a chance to work on these multi-language use cases.

Scott

-----
if ( you want ) { you can } else { you can't }