If you build your own distro then you can blacklist CXF bundle and try to replace it with wrapped one. The wrapper can be created on the fly with wrap: protocol which allows you to inline some parts of bnd instructions and overriding existing manifest.
An example patch for openhab-distro which I worked with:
https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/pull/1354/files

Just an example to get this:
wrap:mvn:org.apache.cxf/cxf-rt.../3.4.0$override=merge&Import-Package=*;javax.servlet*;version=4.0

Just a note - I haven't tested that, but blacklisting/replacements is controlled at the Karaf tooling level. Another URI such as wrap, which does delegation under the neath, should still be able to retrieve selected artifact.

Best,
Łukasz
--
Code-House