Hi,
Question 1:
You are almost right.
If the Cube not ready, Kylin will use SparkSQL to execute query directly on
original tables.

Question 2:
It is possible but very hard.
The index data are saved in Parquet format, it is possible to read them by
Spark, but the columns' name are encoded
 so you don't understand which columns are useful to you. The mapping from
parquet files'
columns to Model's dimensions or measures is stored Kylin's metastore, so the
knowledge of Kylin source code
is required to make good use of model/index files when reading them directly.

If we have a Python library(like
https://github.com/Kyligence/kylinpy/tree/master) which provide
 the ability that you can send SQL to Kylin. Will it be helpful to your Data
science team?
Following is an example.

```
 >>> import sqlalchemy as sa
 >>> import pandas as pd
 >>> kylin_engine =
 >>> sa.create_engine('kylin://ADMIN:KYLIN@sandbox/learn_kylin?timeout=60&is_debug=1')
 >>> sql = 'select * from kylin_sales limit 10'
 >>> pd.read_sql(sql, kylin_engine)

```

--

Best wishes to you !