Hi,
My name is Johan Rask and I work for Jayway. I am currently in a project where
we are using JPA/Hibernate for modeling a computer network topology. We are
running into some performance problems as our topology grows and I hope that
you can help me out.

We have three different kind of "units" which have vpn tunnels to each other,
which is
modeled as relationships using a relational database. There is also something
called
a group and a units can belong to many groups. Basically, in a worse case
scenario we can have a Many2Many with all units (even if that never is going to
happen we want to support it) with maximum 5000 units.

Our problem (as you may have guessed) is that we have performance issues when
doing
large changes in the topology (for minor changes it works ok), like deletion of
large groups.  The topology does not have to be that large either... Removing a
group with 300 connected units (300x300 relationships)  is enough to cause
improper response times. Since it is a many2many relationship we have to
resolve and remove all relationships before removal of any units and this is
what is time consuming.

Question:
1. I was hoping that neo could help us speed up things here
2. I would like to use neo for the topology part only. Simply (well.. not that
simply perhaps) switch our TopologyRepository (impl today as
JpaTopologyRepository) to a
   NeoTopologyRepository.  I know that transactions are supported, but is it
possible to use it with a jta transactionmanager since we will end up with two
different datasources if we keep the rest of the system in the relational
database? We are using spring.
I found this, what is the status? http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Spring_And_Neo
3. Or is it better(or easier?) to simply use Neo for everything?

If something is not clear, please get back to me.

Best regards

/Johan Rask