Johan,

I see. My knowledge of NIO is pretty limited indeed: since you're
telling me it's re-designable with traditional java.io
implementations, I see no particular issues on that side (also
because, as you described some of the core functionalities, many
features are already present in System.IO). In fact, what i did know
was that NIO was used to stream remotely, opening communication
channels between the local JVM and the remote endpoint (which could
have been another running application in the same JVM).

Coming back to Transactions: it's true that JTA is just a set of
specifications abstracted by the interfaces provided (which are easily
convertible into .NET with a custom JTA packaging), but it's also true
that .NET provides a "framework" for handling application transactions
in the same fashion as JTA.
In fact, when a developer instantiate a TransactionScope class, opens
a transactional context for th execution of the calls withing that
instance: to support this the JTA support present in neo4j should be
adapted to the specifications provided by System.Transactions, which
don't support XA nor 2PC (heavily used by neo4j).

It's true that it would be possible to create a custom transaction
namespace within the ported neo4j, but this would change the behavior
of the application: I don't know for sure, but JTA interacts with
underlying systems for the management of transactions, as
System.Transaction does; having a custom transaction mechanism would
bypass all this.

Cheers.
Antonello