On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Benjamin Dageroth
<benjamin.dager...@webtrekk.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Then the best solution for this seems to me that I would run two databases:
> First I ask our current current database to give me all Visitors, to whom
> this criteria applies, and then ask neo4j to look only at the edges of these
> visitors. Or would neo4J be powerful enough to deliever a similar performance
> as traditional RDBMS Systems when confronted with data that is not really
> resembling a graph? Is it usually easy to transform a traditional schema into
> a graphDB Schema that performs just as well?

Hi,

Running two databases (graph db + RDMS) may be good idea in this case.
RDMS are really good at working with set operations on the full
dataset. On the other hand it is often possible to calculate/aggregate
such information on the fly when data is updated in a graph db.

Regarding transforming a traditional schema into a graph I would say
it is easy. I usually recommend not to look at the schema, instead
look at the domain and its data and transform that into a graph.
People are playing with automatic relational schema -> graph db
transformation tools. Have a look at Peters SQL importer here:
http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/SQL_Importer

Regards,
-Johan