Hi Arin,

As Mattias mentioned you should use the IndexService together with
LuceneIndexService for this.

However could you please send the stacktrace for the NotFoundException?

Regarding your comments in the code here are some quick answers:

Use the reference node to connect the index or any other sub-graph
that you need to access. Then you can start traverse from the
reference node and create the index on demand. See
http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Design_Guide#Organizing_your_Nodespace
for more information.

You do not have to wrap the creation of the index in a transaction
since it has access to the NeoService and can create a transaction if
needed.

Regards,
-Johan