Thanks Craig,

I'd like to clarify my question (I don't think it changes your answer
though).

I wanted all messages visible to me created by users I follow.  Thus, the
FOLLOWS relationship is not enough.  I'd need to see messages that are
visible to me and then check if they were created by users I follow, or I'd
need to see messages created by users I follow and then see if they're
visible to me.

I assume your last example still yields the result I'm looking for.  Could
you describe what actually happens here though?  I'm unclear on what the
traversal looks like.  Would it first traverse every outgoing FOLLOWS
relationship from the viewer, yielding other users, and then traverse all
the CREATED relationships to get to messages?

Also, given very large numbers of FOLLOWS and CREATED relationships (with
say, a twitter graph), how is this made efficient?

Sorry for all the basic questions but I couldn't find this information in
the docs.  If there's something I should be reading before posting these
questions, please point me to it.

Thanks!

Lincoln