Andrew,
I don't thing compiling Java into native code just for the sake of
running it in the PHP engine is a good idea. Instead, e.g. the
http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/quercus/ project is aking the other
approach, compiling PHP into Java, example project with Neo4j here:
http://bitbucket.org/jgritman/neo4j-quercus/src/

The REST component in the making is not specifically for PHP, it is a
generic interface to a Neo4j nodespace, with custom traverser
definitions in the pipeline after the current HTML interface work, see
http://lists.neo4j.org/pipermail/user/2010-March/003130.html

We have no absolute time frame, but will be on this soonish - really!

Cheers,

/peter neubauer

COO and Sales, Neo Technology

GTalk:      neubauer.peter