You could perhaps use the LuceneFulltextQueryIndexService (which is a
LuceneFulltextIndexService, but which interprets the "value" argument in
getNodes() as lucene query
syntax<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_1/queryparsersyntax.html>).
Index your <URI>|<time> as a one concatenated value and query it with range
queries<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_1/queryparsersyntax.html#Range%20Searches>,
f.ex: [http://my-uri|0000000000000 TO http://my-uri|1270797634350] (since
all values are strings in lucene), and grabbing the last one. If the results
of the range query could be reversed you could grab the first one instead,
which would be much better.

This solution doesn't strike me as being particularly good, but might work
(I haven't tried it).