The 1.2 release is scheduled to be released in Q4 (most likely in
November). Regarding implementations running on large graphs using
Neo4j there have been several mentions of that on the list so you
could try search the user archives
(http://www.mail-archive.com/user@lists.neo4j.org/). For example:
http://lists.neo4j.org/pipermail/user/2010-April/003493.html

Regarding sharding, if your domain is shardable you can use the same
domain-specific sharding scheme with a graph database as you would
using some other solution (RDBMS, document store etc). Traversals over
shards would then have to be managed by the application that knows
about the domain and sharding scheme in place.

-Johan