Given that Neo4j has a pretty powerful indexing system with Lucene, why
can't users create their own reference node(s) and index them in their
application?

Like (in pseudo):

Graph g = new Graph()
Node n = g.newNode()
g.putIndex(n,"reference")
//later...
Node refNode = g.getIndex("reference")

I've used Neo4j a lot less than any of you so maybe I don't appreciate
something here, but to me this "reference node" concept does seem like an
artifact that provides little added value, and was a source of frustration
during my thesis.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Alex