> > One question before I dive into this... Do the Traversal framework
> > involve performance improvements over the core API as shown in your
> > example?
>
> It doesn't currently, since it's using the core API. But I think the goal
> is
> to have it "drop down" one level in order to gain performance.

One would expect that since the traversal framework needs to keep caches of
paths already traversed, so as not to repeat itself or get into infinite
loops, it must, almost by definition, perform worse than the core API. I
assume that the difference is not great. However, if it is possible to make
the traverser perform better than the core API, I would assume that means
the core API could be optimized also. Theoretically the core API should
always be faster?