On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 04:58, Michael Hunger
<michael.hun...@neotechnology.com> wrote:
> unfortunately it is not clear what you're asking for.

Sorry about that. The only thing I want in the REST component is a way
to identify the data type of the value returned by an extension.

> Is it the discoverable part of the REST API which describes parameters and
> return values?
> I think the parameter description is generated from the server plugin method
> parameter names, types and annotation values.

Exactly, but there's no annotations for describing the data type
returned. I would like to have this information in order to create the
suitable object in Python, not only a dictionary containing the
values.

> This is handled by the ExtensionPointRepresentation in the server. I just
> looked and it doesn't contain information about the result.
>
> We will discuss that internally and probably add this information. By now you
> are limited to documenting that in the "description" part.

OK, I see. Are you planning to add this feature in some moment in the
near future?

Best regards.

> Cheers
>
> Michael
>
> Am 22.03.2011 um 23:29 schrieb Javier de la Rosa:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm ending the support for extensions in the neo4j-rest-interface [1]
>> and it will be soon available for installing through easy_install and
>> pip, the Python Package Index, and probably with a new name, I don't
>> know yet.
>> But I have just find a little problem, the data type returned is not
>> revealed in any of params in REST interface. By example, in the
>> ShortestPath.shortestPath extension the dictionary of properties
>> received by the client is:
>>  {u'description': u'Find the shortest path between two nodes.',
>>   u'extends': u'node',
>>   u'name': u'shortestPath',
>>   u'parameters': [{u'description': u'The node to find the shortest path to.',
>>                    u'name': u'target',
>>                    u'optional': False,
>>                    u'type': u'node'},
>>                   {u'description': u'The relationship types to follow
>> when searching for the shortest path(s). Order is insignificant, if
>> omitted all types are followed.',
>>                    u'name': u'types',
>>                    u'optional': True,
>>                    u'type': u'strings'},
>>                   {u'description': u'The maximum path length to
>> search for, default value (if omitted) is 4.',
>>                    u'name': u'depth',
>>                    u'optional': True,
>>                    u'type': u'integer'}]}
>>
>> That's enough to clean and send the parameters to the extension using
>> the REST interface, but doesn't for creating the returned objects
>> automatically. Adding a new "returns" in the properties returned
>> should work, but maybe setting some conventions about the types
>> returned and sent would be a good idea. Actually the type "strings" is
>> really a list of strings, a bit confusing.
>>
>> Until now, the only way to discover the type of returned objects was
>> to inspect the "self" attribute of the first element, but that doesn't
>> work in all the cases.
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>> --
>> Javier de la Rosa