On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Jim Webber <j...@neotechnology.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like to propose that we put this functionality into the plugin
>>> (https://github.com/skanjila/gremlin-translation-plugin) that Peter and I
>>> are currently working on, thoughts?
>
> I'm thinking that, if we do it, it should be handled through content
> negotiation. That is if you ask for application/atom then you get paged lists
> of results. I don't necessarily think that's a plugin, it's more likely part
> of the representation logic in server itself.

This is something I've been wondering about as I may have the need to
feed very large graphs into the system and am wondering how the REST
API will hold up compared to the native interface.

What happens if the result of an index query (or traversal, whatever)
legitimately needs to return 100k results?

Wouldn't that be a bit large for one request?   If anything, it's a
lot of JSON to decode at once.

Feeds make sense for things that are feed-like, but do atom feeds
really make sense for results of very dynamic queries that don't get
subscribed to?
Or, related question, is there a point where the result sets of
operations get so large that things start to break down?   What do
people find this to generally be?

Maybe it's not an issue, but pointers to any problems REST API usage
has with large data sets (and solutions?) would be welcome.

--Michael