From: user-boun...@lists.neo4j.org [mailto:user-boun...@lists.neo4j.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Webber
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 8:48 AM
To: Neo4j user discussions
Subject: Re: [Neo4j] Lucene/Neo Indexing Question

I actually think this discussion on supernodes is very valuable - we've seen it
crop up in a small, bit significant, number of implementations and we've seen
credible and hairy workarounds.

[pure speculation follows]

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to intercept the write to the "red"
colour node (as in Rick's domain) and redirect that to an underlying balanced
tree (effectively an index of red things). That is, the "red" node is actually
a function which as a side-effect attaches relationships to nodes in a balanced
tree-of-red. All of which happens without any explicit stopping and calling out
to separate indexes.

I suspect this is non-trivial given we optimise around a stable, performant
on-disk structure, but I'd love* to hear the kernel hacker's views on this.

Jim

* Unless those views are that I'm a bozo, then I'll just reluctantly hear them
for the sake of completeness.