Hi,

The bounding boxes are used by the RTree index, which is a typical way to
index spatial data. For Point data, the lat/long and the bounding box are
the same thing, but for other shapes (streets/LineString and Polygons), the
bounding box is quite different to the actual geometry (which is not just a
single lat/long, but a set of connected points forming a complex shape).

The RTree does not differentiate between points and other geometries,
because it cares only about the bounding box, and therefor we provide that
even for something as simple as a Point.

Does that answer the question?

Regards, Craig