Marcelo,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Marcelo Barbudas <nos...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> No,
>> It's not based on Gremlin a first experiment on lowering the learning
>> curve to pattern searching for graphs. Feel free to give it a swing and
>> report back!
>>

> A couple more questions about cypher:
>
> * Is it supported via the REST api?
We where not able to get it in in time, the plugin needs some love
next week, it's in the works at
https://github.com/neo4j/neo4j-cypher-plugin

> * How fast is it?
Right now, it is based on Neo4j Pattern matching, so it's not fast in
all situations. That is the point. As time goes, there can be
different optimizers, possibly implementations using Gremlin, Scala
adn K/V store to do stuff better. That's why we don't want it as a
standard right now. That take a LOT more than just putting it out
IMHO.

> * Can it do all the stuff Gremlin is able to do here? Especially
> collaborative filtering:
No. It is intended for the 80% of "daily use cases", see
http://docs.neo4j.org/chunked/snapshot/query-lang.html for the current
things. Cypher is much like SparQL - declarative (WHAT), and Gremlin
is another way of saying HOW instead of Java, Scala or JRuby. Cypher
will not be turing complete and thus not be usable as a programming
language. We are even contemplating of not letting it mutate in the
first iterations, in order to enforce that notion.

> 1
> http://www.slideshare.net/slidarko/problemsolving-using-graph-traversals-searching-scoring-ranking-and-recommendation

Yep, that is the coolness that Gremlin rocks at!

/peter