Perhaps it is also an issue of your REST-client? If the value when rendered as
part of a string evaluates to the
empty string the resulting URL would be the same as the one that retrieves all
nodes.

i.e. http://localhost:7474/db/data/index/node/nodes/username

Just an idea, could you verify the REST url that is used?