Ok, makes sense.

It just hard to see what is new in that package and what is just "hiding" the
original API.

Probably I don't know enough about type/class system to understand the
implication of having properties and relationships on top of property-names,
properties, relationships, relationship-types and nodes.

Wouldn't it be much simpler to say, there is just one thing (Element) and this
Element can be connected to other things ?

So make no distinction between connections to other "nodes" or connection to
properties ?

then you wouldn't need all the existing API at all.
I would also leave off all the management stuff here (.e.g shutdown
add/removeXXXHandler, etc).

For interaction with the old API I would have a methods on Element (or a
Factory / Converter)

Element.from(Node)
Element.from(Relationship)
Element.from(RelationshipType)
Element.from(PropertyContainer, propertyName)
Element.from(PropertyContainer, propertyName, type)

But these interconnected elements are imho a really different approach to the
current API, so mixing things just makes it confusing. Especially keeping the
old names around when the things are actually unified carries too much "wrong"
semantics.

Michael