It depends on the size of your user-base / complexity of your application's
chat system.

If you have millions of users having millions of chats this wouldn't be so much
fun. Otherwise it should work.

You can always hide the implementation behind an API in your app and then be
able to change how you actually store the chats later.

You could implement the chats just as a message nodes that are connected to the
chat, and the author.
Properties would be text and timestamp. Those nodes could also additionally be
linked from HEAD to LAST to traverse the chat. There could be a special
relationship from the "chat"-ndoe to the HEAD of the conversation.

Another idea is to have the chat message just on the relationship between
author and chat (same properties as above). You could use a timeline index for
accessing them in the right order.

You could also have a look at the neo4j-collections API that Niels implements
and use just a linked list of that API.

Cheers

Michael