Actually we do allow multiple geometry types in the same layer, but some
actions, like export to shapely, will fail. We even test for this in
TestDynamicLayers.

You can use the gtype if you want, but it is specific to some
GeometryEncoders, and might change in future releases. It would be better to
get the layers geometry encoder and use that.