The probleme here is that there is already a running database instance (that
serves the rest-request and everything else).

If you put your code into a ServerPlugin or UnmanagedExtension you can in both
cases get an instance of
that GraphDatabaseService passed into your method that you then just use.

Here are some examples:
http://docs.neo4j.org/chunked/snapshot/server-plugins.html
http://docs.neo4j.org/chunked/snapshot/server-unmanaged-extensions.html

Cheers