Dan about how many nodes as traversal result are we talking here?

You said you have one type of relationship. How many relationships do you have
per node pointing to other nodes (outgoing) and incoming (min, max, avg or
distribution) ?

How many steps does your traversal go?

And what is the usecase behind it? So that we can understand your graph model
and the operations you'd like to perform.

Perhaps you could also share (privately) a graph generator that would create a
graph as yours. Then we could run some performance tests of our own.

Cheers

Michael