Hi,

My team has been experimenting with using neo4j for dependency tracking.
For one of our scenarios we have run into performance issues and are
wondering if this is expected given the data, or if we are doing something
wrong.

Our test data consists of ~370k nodes and 4.1M relationships.  Some nodes
have a large number of relationships while many have just a few.

Starting with a relatively central node, using cypher through the web
console we query for a count of all nodes with incoming relationships from
the start node.  With increasing numbers of intermediate nodes we get the
following results:

For nodes 1 relationship away (~5k nodes), 170 ms.
For nodes up to 2 relationships away (~120k nodes), 2 seconds.
For nodes up to 3 relationships away (~670k nodes, there must obviously be
duplicates here :), 10 seconds.
Trying to go beyond 3 maxes out available memory, takes over one core and
takes > 30 minutes (after which we kill it).

We have been testing with version 1.4.1, 1.4.2 and 1.5.M02 on a machine with
4 cores and 12 gig ram. Increasing the max java heap size to 6, 8, or 10 gig
did not have any noticable effect.

Any feedback or hints on settings we could try to tweak would be welcome.