I think a separate UUID (2xLONG = 16 Bytes) property type would make sense, if
I remember correctly property types with larger block sizes are now possible.
Otherwise it could be an inlined long[2].

Having good support on the API  level (integrated separate fast index +
uniqueness) would be important as well.

That would come at the cost of dropping the exposure of native neo4j-ids. I
think that's a worthwhile trade-off.

Michael