Hi Peter

Thanks Nigel for working hard on Py2neo - it's becoming a very cool binding!
Thanks - I'm certainly pleased with how py2neo is turning out :-)

Thinking about your use cases in turn:

 - insert data as part of a JSON payload to existing nodes, encoded in
GEOFF (kind of document substructures) - something like
http://docs.neo4j.org/chunked/snapshot/rest-api-node-properties.html#rest-api-set-property-on-node
but with a GEOFF payload that is resulting in a new subgraph
We could possibly create some form of syntax which would designate a "this"
node, e.g. (@). This could allow a file to reference it's external context,
in this case the node to which we are submitting the subgraph.

- insert a subgraph, but as part of the insertion, attach the subgraph
to an existing stucture
To reference the destination graph from within GEOFF would require either
IDs or search criteria which could provide zero or more nodes as a result.
I can see pros and cons for both approaches. On the other hand, we could
look at the previous use case and consider some form of parameterised load
routine. We could then possibly extend the syntax above to (@0) (@1) (@2)
and so on to reference the passed-in nodes.

- have PQL support mutating statements (INSERT, UPDATE etc) and maybe
use GEOFF to describe substructures for mutations.
I haven't looked at PQL yet but I'm guessing a similar syntax could be used
to reference nodes within those statements. I'll look into it a bit more!

Cheers
*
*
*Nigel Small*