If you're using spring you can also look into Spring Data Neo4j
(http://spring.neo4j.org)

(see the docs here:
http://static.springsource.org/spring-data/data-graph/snapshot-site/reference/html/#reference:neo4j-server)

and its use of the SpringRestGraphDatabase and/or the java-rest-binding
(https://github.com/neo4j/java-rest-binding).

You could also add a domain level server-extension to the neo4j server that
talks a application specific protocol (instead of the generic REST protocol).

The best way is to do a PoC for your use-case(s) and measure the ease of use +
performance for your domain model + data.

Haven't seen the "RESTDataService" you referenced, do you have any docs on that?

Cheers

Michael