@ qcon: I can't find the twitter videos on
http://qconlondon.com/london-2011/ rick could you please point to further
rescources?

@ aseem: I gave a detailed answer to your questions on
http://www.rene-pickhardt.de/graphity-an-efficient-graph-model-for-retrieving-the-top-k-news-feeds-for-users-in-social-networks/#comment-1295

but I think we have the same oppinion. The approach that you wrote down
here is exactly what my baseline STOU does. you have your friendship
relations as a (S)tar and the events as (T)emporal (O)rdered (U)pdeats ( =
STOU ) The merging traversal is the same in STOU and Graphity. The only
difference is that in STOU I have to sort the egonetwork O(d log d) where d
is infact the outdegree.

Once we understand this everything else is easy: You look at your kind of
application and decide what your ratio of read to write operations is. Once
reading happens far more frequently you better use graphity in the other
case your method seems more sufficiant.

What I have learnt from your comments that not only the ratio of reads to
writes is interesting but the distribution of outdegrees should be
considered when deciding which algorithm to use.. If the outdegree really
stays small your approach will be more efficiently.

@maxdemermazi:
performance with bigger k drops in both cases. retrieval with graphity is
O(k log k) where STOU is O(d log d + k log k) and for small k the d part is
just dominating. So what's happening here is that graphity will always be
faster since no sorting of the egonetwork is involved.
Besides. Why would you want to have such a big k. Even if your twitter
stream genereated that many updates when you come to the website you will
only get to see a small k of them and as soon as you scroll down you will
see the next k + l tweets...

@custom neo4j: well let's ask Peter if neotechnology will include support
to handle that many relationship types again to neo4j. I certainly would be
happy about that.

2011/11/22 maxdemarzi <maxdema...@gmail.com>

> A couple of things bothered me about Rene's approach.
>
> 1. Custom Neo4j that could handle lots of relationship types.  Not 100%
> sure
> where this fits?
> 2. Performance drops like a bomb when K (the number of items retrieved)
> increases.
>
> So it kind of works to get the top 15 items... A twitter stream could have
> 500 items easy per update (on my iphone every few hours).

mobile: +49 (0)176 6433 2481

Skype: +49 (0)6131 / 4958926

Skype: rene.pickhardt

www.rene-pickhardt.de