There are two approaches I can think of:
- use a better index for mapping ids. Lucent is too slow. Memory hashtables
are memory bound.Peter has been investigating alternative dbs like bdb. I
tried, but did not finish a hashmap of cached arrays, and Chris wrote his
big data import project on github, which is a hashmap of cached hashmaps.
Many promising solutions, but none yet complete. All Target the general
case of id mapping.
- for this specific case, merging small databases, I had an idea a couple
of years ago which I still think will work. Bulk appending entire
databases, by offsetting all internal ids by the current max id. I remember
the reason Johan did not like this idea was that it suffered from the same
flaws as the batch inserter, locking the entire db, no rollback and risk of
entire db corruption. For people happy with the batch inserter, perhaps
this is still an option, but unlikely to get prioritized by the neo team
because if the corruption risks. It would, however, perform spectacularly
well since the id map is a trivial function.

Personally I hope someone completes Chris persistent hashmap or a similar
solution. Id maps are a recurring theme and would be very valuable.