You might look into the java-rest-binding which provides the neo4j-core-api to
the remote server.

https://github.com/neo4j/java-rest-binding

As for examples, I'm currently working on a template repository for heroku
templates that uses this rest-binding with the playframework (my first
playframework project, so bear with me).
(https://github.com/jexp/shareheroku-java)

Cheers

Michael